Online Funeral Directing Certificate
Students who are interested in the Online Certificate in Funeral Directing program at Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service must provide the following information prior to enrolling:
- Official high school or GED transcript
- List of schools previously attended
- Official transcripts of schools previously attended
- Workforce Commission Page – signature is required in blue ink by the student
- $50 enrollment fee
- Complete and mail application
Associate of Applied Science in Funeral Directing
If you are interested in Commonwealth’s partially online Associate of Applied Science Program, you must:
- Complete and mail an official Commonwealth Institute Application for Admission
- Send an official copy of your high school transcript or the certificate and certified transcript of your GED to Commonwealth Institute.
- Send official transcripts of each vocational school, technical school, college and university that you plan to transfer credit from to Commonwealth Institute, if applicable.
- Submit a non-refundable $50 application fee.
- Submit a certified copy of your DD-214 if you plan to receive benefits from the Veteran’s Administration.
- Submit any other materials that a state licensing agency may require.
- Provide evidence that you have fulfilled one of the following:
- Graduated in the upper 25% of your high school class;
- Achieved an acceptable score on the SAT (990) or ACT examination;
- Attained a minimum of 21 on the entrance examination; or
- Successfully completed all of the general education core courses.
No uniform licensing laws govern funeral service in the United States. Some state licensing agencies require students to notify the agency prior to enrollment in mortuary school. Some require completion of pre-mortuary college educational requirements. Students are responsible for meeting licensure requirements in the state in which they wish to obtain a license.
Commonwealth Institute will provide addresses of the licensing agencies or answer any questions dealing with these requirements.